Wednesday, October 15, 2014

The Horror of What the Kaji Dha Wednesday!

Several months ago I did a "What the Kaji Dha" post about Saturday morning TV. I intended to follow that up much sooner, but after settling on a specific topic felt it more appropriate to post in this month. After some recent articles hit the web about Saturday morning cartoons meeting their final demise, I feel even better about waiting...because nothing speaks to the season more than death and cartoons!

In my young impressionable mind, having discovered the Universal horror classics at a young age, monsters made everything better! Wanna watch "The Flintstones"? Sure. Wanna watch the Flintstones with the Gruesomes or the Frankenstones? Absolutely! 



I'll be honest, its been years since I watched a Flintstones episode, but I always think of the Gruesomes as the Addams Family and the Frankenstones as the Munsters of Bedrock! Speaking of the Addams Family, they had their own cartoon too...twice!

If you liked your monsters more traditional (i.e. Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman...etc) you had "Drak Pack", "Sabrina and the Groovie Goolies", "Fangface" and "Frankenstein Jr & the Impossibles" (ok, maybe traditional is the wrong word, but you know what I mean!)



Like your ghosts and ghouls served up with a side of mystery? I know I did, and ate countless bowls of Count Chocula and Cap'n Crunch while huddled in front of the TV watching "Scooby-Doo" (available in a very wide variety of incarnations) and "The Funky Phantom"!



Want movie monsters? "Beetlejuice", "Teen Wolf", "The Real Ghostbusters" and "Filmations Ghostbusters", (more on that this weekend) all made the rounds!



Heck, with the "Krofft Superstar Hour" alone you got Witchiepoo from "H.R. Pufnstuf" (with Orson the vulture and Seymour the spider), "Sigmund and the Sea Monsters" and "Bigfoot and Wildboy". 

I'm sure there's plenty more I'm missing ("Tales from the Cryptkeeper", and "Casper" just came to mind) but the ones I listed were the ones I watched...over and over, year after year, on network TV and cable, both new and in syndicated reruns. They are fond childhood (and teen and adulthood) memories and things I feel are worth revisiting...especially at this time of year! So maybe this Halloween I'll break out my "Groovie Goolies" or "Funky Phantom" DVDs? Work them into my traditional horror movie marathon...better hit the store first though for some cereal! Frankenberry or Count Chocula? Decisions, decisions!


No comments:

Post a Comment